Poison Ivy Can Ruin the Dog Days of Summer for Your Canine

Poison Ivy Can Ruin the Dog Days of Summer for Your Canine

Summer can be an adventure for any dog owner. Our pets can race in an off leash dog park or through a wooded camping area and quickly discover many of the wonders that Mother Nature provides. But some of those things can have a stinging consequence. Protecting a dog’s paws from thistles and burrs is imperative but a pet owner must also be aware of other dangers in the underbrush, namely that itchy three-leaved plant, poison ivy. Learn how to protect your canine and enjoy the summer by learning to identify poison ivy.

Poison Ivy-It is important to be very aware of these poisonous plants as they grow in backyards and wooded areas throughout the country. Many homeowners don’t even realize their yard is full of the itchy stuff until it is too late and a family member or beloved dog is exposed and covered with red,itchy, oozing blisters. Poison ivy can be found all over the U.S. while its cousin, poison oak, is found most mainly in the west. The plants do look similar and exposure to either of these plants will cause a painful itchy reaction. Imagine if your dog comes across a patch of poison ivy and gets the oil from the leaves into his fur. The oily substance that causes the itchy reaction can get on their paws and even their tongue if they try to lick the affected areas. So how do you determine if your yard has poison ivy?

READ  Be A Better Cat Owner With The Help Of This Article

Characteristics of Poison Ivy in Summer

Summer is the time when poison ivy is in full bloom

Some leaves are notched and some are not..

New leaves are shiny and can have a reddish tone.

Older leaves are not as shiny and look more dull green.

Due to its many varieties it may be hard to identify poison ivy. It may be ground cover, grow along a vine or spread into a bush. It is important to stay on top of this plant if found in your yard because one small neglected clump can spread very quickly throughout a property. Exposure to this plant is an itchy experience that can last for several weeks and require treatment with veterinarian prescribed medications, In many cases a steroid will be prescribed. The leaves of the plant will deposit oil on your pet’s fur which can spread to other pets in the home and even to family members through the laundry or furniture. Be aware of this poisonous and itchy plant when walking in wooded areas and dog parks that you are unfamiliar with. Doggie booties designed for summer wear can prevent your dog from a painful, itchy experienceA�